If you are inspired by impact that is hands-on,
Over 1000 Projects
Last year IVS supported over 1200 projects around the world. We have grassroots partners in 80 countries.
IVS projects are developed by our local partners after establishing an identified need.
Volunteering shouldn’t cost a fortune. IVS projects costs start from as little as £145.
At IVS we have been sending volunteers of all ages and backgrounds abroad for over 85 years. Our projects are delivered in partnership with local organisations also operating in the remit of our umbrella network, SCI (Service Civil International). Our projects aim to help break down barriers and prejudices between people of different social, cultural and national backgrounds, and ultimately promote a culture of peace. As a long-term volunteer, you will commit to contributing to a project up to 12 months and receive training and professional experience in return. You will experience living abroad and learn from different cultures and people, while getting deeply involved in a concrete project which benefits the local community. This commitment enables sustained work for peace in the organisations, the volunteers and the members of the local community.
Are you looking to volunteer on a short-term project instead? See here
Are you currently living in another country, and would like to volunteer in the UK or anywhere else in the world? Please contact an SCI sending organisation in your country of residence.
If you are a current resident of the UK and would like to volunteer abroad on one a long-term project, you are in the right place! Keep reading!
HOW CAN I APPLY?
– Search a project
– Email us to request an application form for the project(s) of your choice
– Fill in and return the application form
– Pay your membership and project registration fee (we will send you instructions on how to pay)
– Once both the project and you have confirmed your attendance, you can start packing!
HOW MUCH DO I HAVE TO PAY?
IVS is a registered charity since 1931. We would not be able to operate without the constant support of our members!
– IVS yearly membership: £15
– Project registration fee:
£ 145 for projects up to 3 months
£ 235 for projects up to 6 months
£ 325 for projects up to 9 months
£ 415 for projects up to 12 months
WHERE DOES MY MONEY GO?
– Your membership:
Supports the work of IVS
– Your project registration fee:
Covers your health insurance for the duration of your volunteering
In some cases, includes your accommodation and food on site
Supports the SCI international network
WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO PAY?
– Travel to/from the project
– Any other requirements of your travel (e.g. visa and/or vaccination costs for the country you are visiting)
– Any extra fees, if required by your host project. Would you like to fundraise this contribution? Contact us
I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS!
What our Volunteers Say
I've been on over 10 camps with IVS and have no interest in stopping any time soon.
— Pat Barker
Get projects alerts!
How Do I Apply?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
Fill in and return the application form – remember to include up to 6 ‘second choices’!
Pay your membership and project registration fee
Once both the project and you have confirmed your attendance, you can start packing!
How Much Do Long Term Projects Cost?
- IVS membership: £15
- Project fee: Ranges from £160 – £430
Where Does My Money Go?
The membership fee supports the running of IVS
The project fee covers:
- Your health insurance for the duration of your volunteering
- Your accommodation and food on site
- Supports the SCI international network
What Else do I Have to Pay?
- Travel to/from the project
- Criminal background check
- Visa Costs
- Extra fees, if required by your host project.
IVS can support your project costs through fundraising initiatives. Contact email@example.com for more.
I Have More Questions!