Founded in 1931, IVS has a rich history and are recognised
Deeds not Words
The roots of IVS go back to just after the First World War when Service Civil International (SCI) was founded by an international group of Pacifists to further the aims of peace, justice and understanding in the world. Initiated by the Swiss Quaker Pierre Cérésole, the organisation’s purpose was to bring together volunteers from different countries, to provide a ‘voluntary service’ to local communities in need of support.
In 1920, Pierre Cérésole and Hubert Parris, a British Quaker, set up the first international voluntary project in Esnes, a French village that had suffered extensive war damage. Major volunteer projects continued throughout the 1920’s offering aid and support to communities in need.
1931 – The First British Project
In the Welsh village of Brynmawr, the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) had begun to develop a range of support projects for locals who had been affected by the decline of the Welsh coal mining industry.
Inspired by the work of the Service Civil on the continent, the group contacted Jean Inebnit, a Swiss quaker who had previously worked with Cérésole, and who was then working as a lecturer at the University of Leeds. In coordination, they set up the first international voluntary project in Britain in 1931. Brynmawr attracted 41 volunteers from abroad, and 74 from the UK. From this, emerged the development of the International Voluntary Service for Peace. Led by Jean Inebnit, IVSP was now the British Branch of Service Civil International.
In the Spring of 1939, IVSP was acknowledged by the House of Commons during a debate on an alternative form of national service for Conscientious Objectors. T. Edmund Harvey MP, the brother of IVS Chairman John Harvey, spoke of the wide range of valuable work carried out by the International Voluntary Service, such as reconstruction work after natural or economic disasters, which would not have otherwise been carried out.
Later that year, John Harvey and Paul Cadbury met with Sir Godfrey Ince, the Minister of Labour, on behalf of IVSP to discuss the possibilities of an ‘alternative service’ for Conscientious Objectors. Several days after the discussions, John Harvey received a letter inviting IVSP to supply men for a series of reforestation projects across the UK. This development saw IVSP receive funding from the British Government and unofficial status as ‘the alternate service’.
Great Britain during the War
The voluntary work provided by IVS volunteers continued to grow throughout WW2, with specialist relief teams developed to tackle specific issues faced in wartime Britain.
During the Blitz, Volunteers gave support to struggling air-raid shelters and developed a range of health and social projects including an open Air Theatre to provide entertainment for evacuees. In Croydon, an area of London hit by violent bombings, volunteers worked to clear dangerous blitzed houses. Outside of London, in the summer of 1941, volunteers established a centre for War Refugees in Market Rasen, Lincolnshire.
The skills and experiences of IVS volunteers was recognised when the Council of British Societies for Relief Abroad awarded IVS funding to send volunteers to Europe.
Many British volunteers were eager to offer relief work on the continent, so, as soon as it was made possible, relief units were formed and sent to Egypt to wait until it was safe to deploy to mainland Europe. IVSP volunteers were issued with army fatigues, with each unit receiving surplus military vehicles. In total 10 relief units were deployed, with the first unit landing in Athens on Christmas Day 1944.
The relief units stayed on the continent for almost 2 years, with new volunteers routinely replenishing the ranks.
Following on from the successes of IVS projects in Europe and the swelling number of volunteers, IVS teams began developing projects outside of Europe. The IVS Pioneers setup branches in India and across Africa.
By the 1960s, a long-term volunteering programme had been developed to assist developing countries by providing long-term skilled volunteers. Volunteers contributed to almost every aspect of development from education and health to planning and construction. Their role was to act as a catalyst for change and to contribute skills which were not available locally.
Lord Judd & the Social Programmes
A young Frank Judd became IVS Secretary General in 1960. Judd recognised the changing needs of local communities and began shifting IVS away from the traditional ‘pick & shovel’ projects in favour for a significant expansion of social projects. Judd stepped down as Secretary General in 1966 to take up his seat in the House of Commons as MP for Portsmouth South. By the time Judd left, IVS was running 166 voluntary projects in the UK every year.
Judd went on to work as Director of both Oxfam and VSO and later went on to join the house of Lords in 1991. Lord Judd remains a patron of IVS.
IVS Overseas / Skillshare
By 1971 IVS had opened a new office in Leeds to host a standalone team for the IVS Overseas programme, whilst the remaining IVS regional offices focused on developing projects in the UK.
In 1990 IVS and IVS Overseas became separate legal entities, with IVS Overseas rebranding as Skillshare International. Skillshare went on to become a founding member of the UK Governments ICS international volunteering programme. Sadly, in August 2016 Skillshare went into administration.
In 1971, IVS’s Northern Irish office started a programme of cross-community holidays for children from Belfast and Derry. Over the next two years, over 800 children from both communities were sent abroad, with funding raised by public appeals. As the funding and the scale of the project increased IVS opened a permanent facility to focus on reconciliations projects.
The new facility and the children’s programme were coordinated by IVS field officer Sean Armstrong. On the 30th of June 1973, the day before a large group of children were set to depart for Europe a member of the Ulster Defence Association walked into the IVS office and shot Sean 3 times. Following Sean’s death, the holiday scheme was put on hold and IVS began to focus on developing local projects.
For more than 80 years, IVS have been offering volunteering projects for peace and are recognised by the UN as the UK’s oldest international volunteering organisation. With over 1000 projects in 80 countries, IVS have a large list of global partners that develop each project after a local need is discovered.
IVS continue to work for the sustainable development of local and global communities throughout the world.