Become an IVS Volunteer Mentor
Every year, IVS welcomes 20-30 international volunteers of all ages and backgrounds on long-term placements (up to 12 months) with its partners in Great Britain. IVS is looking for local volunteer mentors who will provide one-to-one support to the volunteers by helping them integrate into their new life in Great Britain, settling in the project, and planning their future after the placement.
- To welcome the volunteer on arrival – by email/letter, then in person if required
- To be available to be a point of contact for the volunteer in case of problems with host or IVS
- To meet regularly with the volunteers during their placement – at least twice, at the start and the end of their placement
- To offer support and advice on the local area, social activities, future plans, signposts etc if needed
- Liaise with IVS for volunteer’s welfare issues
Mentor’s Desired Knowledge & Skills
- To have a knowledge and ownership of the IVS vision and principles
- To be a current member of IVS (or willing to renew membership)
- To have previous volunteering experience
- To have a particular interest in young people, and strive to help identify their strengths and qualities
- To be able to travel on British territory – within assigned area
- To have a knowledge of the UK culture and ability to pass it on to foreign people
- To have previous mentoring/befriending/counselling experience and knowledge with practice of active listening skills
- To have previous employability/career advice experience (CV preparation)
- To have a knowledge of other languages/cultures, and be receptive and open-minded about age, and ethnicity
- To have a knowledge of the UK charity sector and/or hosting project
- To be positive and optimistic
- To be available to commit to the role for at least 1 year
Mentors will receive free concessionary membership with IVS. Mentor’s travel expenses are reimbursed for volunteer visits. An appropriate police check is required.
IVS are especially looking for mentors based in the Northern Ireland, Pertshire, Dumfries and Galloway and Aberdeenshire!.