A peace walk to was planned by long-standing members Peter and Shirley Thomas as part of IVS’s 80th birthday celebrations.
24 people attended the 9.5 mile walk in beautiful weather. 15 walked the full distance and 9 people (including 3 children – 11 yrs, 8yrs and 4yrs) walked a shorter section from. Ruth Thomas led the walk as she works for the Ramblers and is a trained walk leader, which she does as part of her job. She has also been an IVS member in the past.
What a wonderful mix of ages and many stories of IVS were told en route! All mixed in well and helped each other and the whole event went very well.
Peter said: “The walk started from Hartington Village Square at 1015 approx. We arrived at Milldale around 1230 where we joined the 9 persons doing the shorter walk and had our packed lunches. We then continued at 1315 approx arriving at Ilam at 1515.approx. Some enthusiasts climbed the steep Thorpe Cloud Hill whilst 5 drivers went in a car (left earlier at Ilam) back to Hartington to return to Ilam to collect their passengers. A number of people then left whilst a reasonable sized group stayed for drinks at the Izaak Walton Hotel at Ilam. The party broke up around 1845 hrs. A number of people commented on the excellent occasion and how enjoyable it had been. There was a suggestion made later that it become an annual event.”
Those attending were:
- Bill Ashcroft, Edinbro’ IVS Office Vol.
- Lily Yuan, IVS Office Incoming Placements Officer
- Sabrina Zaeng (Lily’s Chinese friend)
- Shirley Thomas, former Chairof IVS, Retford, Notts
- Peter Thomas, IVS Company Secretary, Retford, Notts
- Ruth Thomas, Sheffield
- Madoc Threipland, Member from London
- Lise Le Joncour, (friend of Madoc) London
- Ben Grol (friend of Madoc), London
- Bee Walsh, Derby
- Rachel Forisha, Derby
- John Sheil, Derby
- Almut Gordon, Derby
- Ian Taylor, Derby
- Jim Kirkham, Derby
- Brenda Eastwood, ex employee of IVS at Regent Rd, Leicester in 1980’s, still in Leicester
- Phred Brown, long standing member of IVS
- John Telford, ex employee of IVS at Regent Rd, Leicester – still in Leicester
- Linda & her 3 foster children Mackenzie (4), Stephanie (8), & Brittany (11), Derby
- Jean, Derby, former Derby IVS member
- Gill Martin, IVS Member, Nottingham
- Non Walker Rosemary Gilchrist (nee Coghlan), ex employee of IVS at Regent Road, Leicester – still in Leicester.
Peter & Shirley Thomas, July 2011